a weapons depot in Abadan, Turkmenistan, exploded on July 7th. Officials blocked media reports, that at least 1.400 were killed by exploding ammunition or rockets hitting the town nearby the arms depot. The president of Turkmenistan, Gurbanguli Berdymuchamedow, tried to block every informations and talked about only 13 victims in warehouse after a fireworks explosion. Human rights organizations in the contrary told about mass graves, where hundreds of dead bodies were thrown in. Exploding rockets destroyed hospitals and schools in Abadan (50.000 inhabitants). A third of the victims – so some reported – were children.
- Dozens feared dead in Turkmenistan ‘arms depot’ blast (telegraph.co.uk)
- Turkmenistan says 15 people dead after explosion (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Turkmenistan:Power blasts may have killed 200 in Turkmenistan (laaska.wordpress.com)
- Turkmen police guard blast site, deny any deaths (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Turkmen government admits 15 dead in depot explosion (rt.com)
- Turkmen authorities polish over blast aftermath (rt.com)