I hope democracy will overcome in Ankara and Istanbul! I hope, that the current street protests in Turkey cannot be ignored by Erdogan – and will change the society. Of course I wouldn’t run around in the streets in those times filled with tear gas and water cannons – but I would try to use the internet working for democracy. Most journalists in prison: in Turkey. A reason to fly via twitter or wordpress over the borders and walls. I hope modern technologies can help to make a society better.
Erdogan does not like twitter. So I sent this post to twitter:
I can not forget that an Islamic politician with a stick run towards me and wanted to beat me when I denounced at a panel discussion that human rights are not respected enough in Turkey and too many journalists are in prison. That was 30 years ago. It has not improved, got even worse!
- Protect Turkish Democracy & Freedom of Information – Please sign! (dianepernet.typepad.com)
- Erdogan losing patience on protests (bbc.co.uk)
- Turkey: Police Fire Tear Gas At Protesters (news.sky.com)
- Turkey: Protesters And Police Clash Over Park (news.sky.com)
- VIDEO: Turkey PM losing patience on protests (bbc.co.uk)
- EU: Turkey Should Avoid Use of Excessive Police Force (voanews.com)
- VIDEO: Police and protesters clash in Ankara (bbc.co.uk)